Parish Calendar

Our Parish History

Sts. Peter and Paul, 1932
Sts. Peter and Paul 1932
First Holy Communion, 1945
First Holy Communion, 1945

In the beginning . . .

The first Catholic Mass celebrated in the Grangeville area occurred between 1870 and 1880 when the renowned Jesuit Father Joseph M. Cataldo came to the nearby town of Mt. Idaho to hold services. In 1892, Fr. William Kroeger was sent to Keuterville as the first resident pastor for the Camas Prairie, and Grangeville became one of his important missions.

There is one source that indicates a church building was erected in Grangeville in 1886, but succumbed to fire in 1893.

The second church, becoming a parish

During the year 1895, a church was erected on the present site. The first Mass offered in the new church took place at 9:30am on Wednesday, January 29, 1896. This church served the parish until 1948.

Father A.M. Billiau became the first resident pastor in Grangeville in July, 1905.

In 1941, Sts Peter and Paul was officially recognized as a parish by the Diocese of Boise.

Plans were made for the current church building in 1947, with completion in 1948. The pastor at the time, Fr. Jerome O'Connor, blessed the church privately and it was first used for the Midnight Mass of Christmas 1948. Bishop Kelly formally dedicated the church to Sts Peter and Paul on May 08, 1949.

School days . . .

A parish school was built in the early 1950's, for grades 1 through 8. Teachers came from St. Gertrude's Monastery in Cottonwood, and a convent was erected near the school for their use.

Handing on the torch

Fr. Bradley Neely, who arrived at Sts Peter and Paul in 2005, is currently the 36th priest to serve the people of the Grangeville area

In late 2008 and early 2009, a successful Capital Campaign was waged for the 1st of 4 phases involving expansion of the Sts Peter and Paul campus. The 1st phase involves the moving of the rectory house, currently situated between the church and the school. In the vacated space, a new Parish Activity Center will be constructed, including a multi-use gymnasium / auditorium / parish hall, a church vestibule, kitchen, multi-use room, storage, and new bathrooms.

The balance of the 4 phases includes an extra classroom for the school, an in-house school library, public parish offices and meetings rooms, and a westward addition onto the current church building, providing more seating capacity.

Because parishioners have all inherited a legacy from those who made sacrifices to build facilities in the 1890's and the 1940's and 50's, the Capital Campaign is entitled, "The Legacy Moves Forward."

For more information about our building campaign click here

Diocesan News

News for the Diocese of Boise, can be found in the
Idaho Catholic Register, the official newspaper of the diocese.

The current issue as well as past issues can be found on their website.


From the Gallery